The past few days have been a ton of fun. I’ve done a lot of eating!
Yesterday morning I got started on one of my 27 things.
I knit a few things as a kid and it seemed to come back to me pretty quickly. My grandma has had to help with a couple of disasters though.
I had yogurt for breakfast and moved on to another kind of yogurt for lunch.
Self-serve for the win. I did a mix of desserty flavors topped with all of the chocolate, peanut butter, and caramel things.
‘Twas good, but whenever I go crazy decadent I always realize that I like my plain tart with fruit and boba the best.
They gave us delicious bread with sun-dried tomato oil for dipping. My piece, x2.
I should have held off on the basket because I ended up needing bread with my dinner as well.
I ordered the cold appetizer sampler as my entrée. [clockwise]
- Hummus – pureed chick peas with a hint of garlic, tahini, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Pilaki – pinto beans with carrots, green peppers, and diced potatoes in a light tomato and olive oil sauce.
- Tabuli – cracked wheat tossed with tomatoes, sweet onions, fresh peppers, parsley, lemon juice, and olive oil.
- Haydari – thickened homemade yogurt with fresh dill, mint, garlic, and walnut.
- Eggplant with tomato sauce.
- Babaganush – smoked eggplant puree flavored with tahini, olive oil, and garlic.
- Ezme – finely chopped tomatoes, onions, walnuts, and hot peppers, mixed in olive oil and herbs.
- Dolmasi – grape leaves stuffed with rice, pine nuts, raisins, and flavorful herbs.
Delicious, delicious, delicious! The babaganous and ezme were my favorites. I did a pretty good job on my meal too.
Plus 3 more pieces of bread for dipping. My only complaint about the dish is that it didn’t come with pita bread.
Iced Vanilla Rooibos Latte for dessert.
Plus a small square of chocolate,
and tastes of nougat that my parents brought from Canada.
I started today with a 1 hour bike ride with my parents.
I had a small plate of food at home to tide me over.
and pretzel bread with beer cheese.
Then I ate my way through our day’s destinations.
A giant diet pop with strawberries at Sonic.
Fun stop #1 was the 2nd Street Market.
I got an arepa with cheese, black beans, and plantain.
I’ve always wanted to try an arepa so this was fun, but a little too “bready” for me; I left the bottom half of my corn cake behind.
Then I spotted Sweet P’s and my mom and I split a sea salt caramel popsicle.
Fun stop #2 was Trader Joe’s.
We loaded up a cart and I also got some brown rice sushi for the road.
TJ’s has some of the best packaged food ever but their sushi always has too much rice. I ate half and saved the rest for later.
Dinner was an insane summer feast.
my grandma’s delicious chicken salad (she always makes it with toasted pecans and grapes and this time she added dried cranberries),
and buttered corn on the cob.
I mmmmmmmmmn’d my way through the whole meal but the corn practically killed me!
I had a big cup of Heath Bar ice cream for dessert.
Good as well, duh.
Tomorrow is our last day of family time and then on Monday we hit the road. I’m sad to be leaving my grandma but glad to be returning to my boys.