An updated version of my Breakfast Casserole, this recipe feels distinctly like dinner. This is a turkey Rueben – savory bread pudding style.
Yields: 4 servings; Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus 8 hours to set); Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup thousand island dressing
- 8 slices pumpernickel rye swirl bread, cut into small squares
- 8 oz sliced turkey, chopped
- 4 oz shredded gouda and Swiss cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp caraway seeds
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut, drained
- Prepare an 8×8 inch pan with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and dressing.
- Divide the bread pieces in half. Arrange half of the bread pieces in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Cover bread with an even layer of cheese, turkey, caraway seeds, and sauerkraut. Evenly top meat and cheese with the other half of the bread cubes.
- Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread. I recommend transferring the liquid from the bowl to a liquid measuring cup to make this a little easier. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and let sit for at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Place covered casserole dish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes.