This banana risotto is perfect for breakfast; it’s chewy and nutty with just a hint of sweetness. This recipe makes two large servings, but can easily be multiplied for a crowd. For any size batch use the proportions: 1 rice – to 1 coconut milk – to 2 water.
Yield: 2 servings; Prep Time: 3 minutes; Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 Tbsp butter substitute
- 2 medium bananas, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup arborio rice
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk and water and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan.
- Melt butter substitute in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add bananas and saute until they turn a deepened yellow color. Season with salt.
- Add rice to the pan and toast, 1 minute.
- Add approximately 1/2 cup of the liquid mixture to your pan. The liquid needs to be at a low simmer, so lower or raise your heat accordingly. Stirring constantly, cook until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Working in 1/3 cup increments and continuing to stir, add the rest of your liquid to the pan until it has all been absorbed.
- maple syrup
- chopped walnuts
- almond butter