These turkey burgers have a great balance of sweet and salty. I basically just took the perfect burger toppings and mixed them into my patties! They are good warm but even better served cold as leftovers.
Yields: 8 burgers; Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 Tbsp evoo
- large sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp smoked brown sugar*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 lb 94% lean ground turkey
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
*If you don’t have smoked brown sugar you can make your own by combining 2 Tbsp light brown sugar with 4 drops liquid smoke.
- Place evoo in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions to heated oil and cook 2 – 4 minutes until softened, then stir in smoked brown sugar and salt. Continue to sauté onions for 10 minutes then remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook bacon until crispy, 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Set cooked bacon aside until cool enough to handle, then crumble into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, cooked onions, crumbled bacon, blue cheese, Worcestershire, and egg. Use your hands to mix everything together until homogenous. Form meat into 8 patties.
- Return pan to medium-high heat (add another 1/2 Tbsp of oil if needed). Working in batches, cover pan and cook burgers until cooked through, 4 – 5 minutes on each side.