This mac isn’t even close to approaching healthy, and that’s ok. This is the sort of meal you pair with a salad.
The green chilies and red onion add just a bit of tang and bite, but this would be fantastic kicked up with some spice as well. Add a few tsp of your favorite hot sauce to the cheese sauce if you’re feeling feisty.
Yield: 4 main-dish servings; Prep Time: 30 minutes; Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz can diced green chilies, drained
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 4 heaping Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cup skim milk
- 8 oz sharp cheddar, shredded
- 2 and 2/3 cup prepared short-cut pasta (that’s 225 grams dry)
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare an 8×8 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Heat 1 tsp oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt to pan and cook 7-10 minutes, until softened and beginning to brown. Stir in green chilies during last minute of cooking. Remove to a large bowl to cool.
- Reduce heat to medium and melt butter in pan. Whisk in flour to form a roux.
- Raise heat to medium-high and carefully whisk in milk, working in 1/2 cup batches. Add all but a medium-sized handful of cheese and stir until melted.
- In a large bowl, toss together peppers and onions, cooked pasta, and cheese sauce. Carefully pour into casserole dish. Top with panko and remaining handful of cheese. Drizzle remaining 2 tsp of oil over the top.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until bubbly and browned.
One thought on “Cheesetastic Mac and Cheese”
Pingback: Vegan Gourmet Shreds Giveaway | Eating Chalk