With caramelized onions and browned mushrooms, these are the best stuffed peppers I’ve ever made. They have everything a chicken cheesesteak does except for the bread.
Yields: 4 servings; Prep Time: 40 minutes; Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 4 medium-size green peppers
- 3 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3 pints white mushrooms, sliced
- 12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast, sliced
- 3 Tbsp evoo, divided
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar-style squeeze cheese
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Slice the tops off of the peppers and clean the seeds out, taking care not to break through the bottoms. You are making little bowls out of the peppers.
- Place peppers cut side down on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 4 minutes. When they are cool enough to handle, place peppers cut side up in a casserole dish.
- Heat 1 Tbsp evoo in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced onions to heated oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Stir brown sugar and 1 tsp salt into onions and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan regularly, until caramelized. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Place another Tbsp of evoo in the pan and return heat to medium-high. Add sliced mushrooms and remaining tsp salt. Cook, stirring and draining liquid as needed, until mushrooms have reduced in size and turned a deep brown. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Place final Tbsp evoo in the pan, along with sliced chicken. Saute chicken until cooked through, 3-5 minutes on each side. Use the side of your spatula to break cooked chicken up into smaller pieces.
- Return caramelized onions and browned mushrooms to pan with chicken. Reduce heat to low and add squeeze cheese. Toss together and cook until cheese is melted and mixture is homogenous.
- Scoop mixture evenly into the peppers, filling them to the top. Place casserole dish in the oven and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and top each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese. Return dish to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow peppers to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
2 thoughts on “Chicken Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers”
Pingback: Weekly Wrap-Up; Weekend Mostly | Eating Chalk
___123___Chicken Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers | Eating Chalk___123___