Who else remembers Quaker’s S’mores Chewy Bars? I used to love those as a kid but they never satisfied me, I was always left wanting more. I happened to glance at a box of Chewy Bars at the store the other day and I knew I needed to try them again. But at home. And better. These homemade balls are way more satisfying than any processed bar and they come together quickly to boot!
Yield: 15 balls; Prep Time: 25 minutes; Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup crushed graham crackers (66 grams or 16 squares worth)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Place sugar and water in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar has completely liquified. Remove from heat.
- Place egg white, vanilla, and cream of tartar in a **clean and dry** bowl. Beat until soft peaks begin to form. A stand mixer would be preferable, but I’ve definitely done this using a handheld mixer and lots of patience.
- While mixer is running, carefully stream sugar syrup into bowl.
- Beat, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed, until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy; 7minutes.
- Let the marshmallow fluff mixture cool to room temperature if necessary, then add the oats, crushed graham crackers, and mini chocolate chips to the bowl. Stir together with a spatula.
- Use your hands to form the balls into Tbsp-sized balls and place on a foiled cookie sheet.
- Refrigerate balls at least 2 hours before serving.