Peanut butter. Banana. Pretzels. How can you really go wrong with any combination of those ingredients? This pie is creamy and sweet and vegan to boot! Just make sure you plan ahead because you will need frozen bananas.
Yield: 8 servings; Cook Time: 10 minutes; Hands-on Time: 20 minutes; Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute
- 4 medium bananas, frozen
- 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk (if using a plain milk substitute just add 1 tsp each vanilla extract and sugar)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- Place unwrapped butter in the center of a 9-inch pie pan and put in preheating oven until butter is fully melted.
- Place pretzels into the bowl of the food processor and process until smooth, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add sugar to bowl and pulse a few times until combined.
- When butter has melted, pour the crushed pretzels into the center of the pie pan. Mix the crumbs and melted butter, then use your fingertips to gently push onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan.
- Bake crust 10 – 12 minutes until firm. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Wipe out food processor (it doesn’t matter if a few pretzel crumbs get in your filling) and place bananas and almond milk into the bowl. Process 2 – 3 minutes until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add peanut butter and cinnamon to bowl and process 20 – 40 seconds more until well-combined.
- Pour filling into cooled pretzel crust, using a spatula to spread it in an even layer.
- Place pie in the freezer to firm up for 1 hour. You can make and freeze the pie a few days ahead of time if you like, just be sure to place in the fridge to thaw for 30 minutes before serving.