This delicious burger tastes just like a jalapeno popper, but it’s much healthier! If you are one of those people who prefers cheddar to cream cheese in your poppers (freak!), go ahead and substitute half of the cream cheese for some crumbled cheddar.
Yields: 6 burgers; Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 6 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup pickled jalapeños, minced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 6 oz sharp cheddar (optional)
- Combine turkey, cream cheese, minced peppers, and bread crumbs in a large bowl. Use your hands (get dirty!) to blend the mixture. It doesn’t need to be homogenous; the burgers are best with pockets of cream cheese.
- Spread oil evenly over a grill pan on medium-high heat.
- Split meat into six even balls and then flatten into patties and place on the grill pan. Cook through, about 7 minutes on each side.
- Optional – top cooked burgers with sharp cheddar and broil until the cheese melts.