2012 started off with a resounding … thud! We headed out this morning for a grocery trip, ran over a nail and saw blade (wtf?!), and spent the rest of the afternoon changing the husband’s tire and getting it patched. Whoops! In the spirit of being a more positive person, I found a few Pollyanna-type takeaways from our flat –
- Thank goodness the tire wasn’t rusted to the axle like the ones on my car, and we were able to change to the spare by ourselves (in the Wegman’s parking lot!).
- Since we were spending the afternoon at Mr. Tire we took my car in as well for winterizing, a task we had been putting off.
- I probably wouldn’t have spent the day cleaning the entire house, working out like a madman, or changing my entire life anyways; and having the excuse of being stuck with the car means I don’t have to feel bad about not doing those things!
Before the bad thing happened, I made myself a cup of White Christmas tea with skim milk.
I was starving at the grocery store and I’m glad I managed to grab some food from home before we headed out for three hours at Mr. Tire. Adam and I each got a 1 oz serving of Lord Nut’s spicy bloody mary peanuts.
The nuts were a Christmas gift from my mom.
They were good; the flavor was spot on but not too spicy for Adam. My 2nd snack was also a Christmas gift.
I think it is actually my newest favorite flavor. This tasted the least like dates (my only complaint about Lara Bars is that some flavors are too strong with date) and the coffee flavor was there without being overwhelming.
We spent part of our wait-time wandering around outside in the rain, and ended up at Mustachio’s for slices of cheese pizza.
Also fun, when we stopped at the Co-op on our way home I managed to snag a sample of mint swirl brownie.
Since 2012 didn’t have the most auspicious start, I’m glad we ate a dinner geared towards bringing us luck.
We followed Jenna’s recipe for Hoppin’ John, with a few changes –
- mixed everything together rather than making a relish
- replaced two of the plum tomatoes with tomatillos (<– I highly recommend this change, it gave the dish a nice citrus flavor)
- substituted brown rice with forbidden black rice for extra luck!
And if it wasn’t lucky, at least it was healthy and tasty.
Our plans for the rest of the evening include Netflix Instant Watch and this skillet cookie my sister-in-law gave us for Christmas.
2012, bring it on!
How’d you spend the first day of the new year?