I don’t want to be disingenuous. Before those readers who have been scouring the globe for a savory cupcake get too excited, I should mention that these are really buffalo chicken muffins. But they do have blue cheese cream cheese frosting. And a muffin is just a cupcake without its hat, ya know?
muffins cupcakes also come with a back story. During Vegan Month there was a Super Bowl. The last time I cared about football was when I was a cheerleader in high school so the game doesn’t mean much to me, but I do think the opportunity for themed foods can be fun. The Friday before the game, my teacher was laughing in class that she knew more about the snacks available for Sunday than she did about the teams that were playing. Then she frowned and said she’d even seen a commercial for chicken wing cupcakes. The rest of the class shook their heads disapprovingly and laughed, like “oh, those silly fat Americans.” Meanwhile, I was furiously writing in my planner –
Make buffalo chicken cupcakes with blue cheese frosting!
And so I did.
Yield: 9 cupcakes; Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 6.5 oz box cornbread/muffin mix
- ingredients required for cornbread (this will vary based on the brand you use, see the package for details)
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 8 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Line 9 cupcake tin with paper liners. Preheat oven (to the specific temperature for your cornbread mix) and prepare corn muffin batter as instructed by package.
- Stir shredded chicken and wing sauce into batter.
- Spoon batter into prepared liners and bake according to package instructions.
- For frosting – Combine cream cheese, butter, and blue cheese in a medium bowl and cream with an electric mixer.
- Be sure cupcakes have cooled completely before frosting.