It’s Pumpkin Month! But you already knew that. I really wanted to make pumpkin squares, so I did some Googling. I got lots of results, but most of them were for pumpkin chocolate chip squares. I wanted butterscotch. So I made my own!
These bars have just a bit more chew than a pumpkin loaf. They pack a lot of spice, but it’s nicely tempered by the butterscotch and toffee.
Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars; yields 16 small squares (base ingredients inspired by 20 recipes from the internets)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butterscotch morsels
- 1/2 cup Heath toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit. Prepare a 8 x 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin, sugars, oil, and vanilla. Fold in remaining ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake 40 – 45 minutes until firm and slightly browned.
- Cool and slice.
P.S. Did anyone notice that when I first published this post I had three different recipe names between the post, the title, and the picture?! I’m not feeling very well!