I’d never made Puppy Chow (or Muddy Buddies, Garbage, etc) before this attempt and I knew I wanted to start out on the right foot. As much as I love sugar (a lot!), I prefer a mix of flavors to a dish so sweet it makes your teeth hurt. Enter Cheez-its.
This Puppy Chow has the perfect balance of salty and sweet. You can definitely eat it by the handful. I certainly did. And so did my friends, who generally eat much more like dietitians than I do! Plus this great party snack comes together in a snap. You basically just melt, mix, and shake-shake-shake!
Sweet ‘n Salty Puppy Chow, yields 8 servings
- 2.5 cups corn squares cereal
- 2 cups Cheez-its
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- Place powdered sugar into a large sealable food-storage plastic baggie and set aside. Prepare a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place chocolate and peanut butter into a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring regularly, until fully melted.
- Use a spatula to fold cereal and crackers into melted peanut butter and chocolate until evenly coated.
- Place mix into powdered sugar bag, seal, and shake, shake, shake until squares are evenly coated.
- Pour onto prepared baking sheet and spread into a thin even layer. Let dry, 1o minutes or so. Store in the fridge in a sealed container.
What does your family call it? Puppy Chow, Garbage, Trash, Muddy Buddies, something new??