I realize that it’s Pumpkin Month now, but I couldn’t skip over the caramel apple themed goodie that I’ve been dreaming about since September.
Chewy apple bars with a square of caramel in the center? Don’t mind if I do!
Caramel Apple Squares, yields 12 servings
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 12 caramel squares, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Prepare an 8×8 inch baking dish with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together applesauce, sugar, brown sugar, egg, canola oil, skim milk, and vanilla extract.
- Fold flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into the wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish.
- Picture a 3 x 4 grid creating 12 squares on top of your baking dish. Place 1 caramel into the center of each “square.”
- Bake 40 – 45 minutes, until firm.