I’ve always thought that I kind of hated brownies, but recently I realized that what I hate is cakey brownies. Not much of a surprise, considering that I hate chocolate cake. Fudgy, chewy, hefty brownies? It turns out that I love those. And it doesn’t hurt if you add a layer of marshmallow.
Inspired by the Baker’s Chocolate recipe, these guys only require you to dirty one bowl. Between the baking chocolate, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate chips, these brownies are intensely chocolatey. Even better, they are quite fudgy. If you like cakey brownies, then this is definitely not the recipe for you.
Fudgy Triple Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies, yields 16 servings
- 6 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg and egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1.25 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1.5 cups marshmallow fluff
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray foil with baking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place butter and baking chocolate in a large, microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring regularly until the butter and chocolate are completely melted.
- Stir sugars into melted chocolate. Whisk in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Divide batter in two and spread the first half evenly into the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula to top evenly with a layer of fluff, followed by an even layer of the remaining batter.
- Bake for 30 – 33 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. The marshmallow layer will bubble up into the top layer of batter in several spots, that’s ok – it gives the brownies a rustic look.
- Remove foil from pan and allow brownies to cool complete before slicing into 16 squares. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
I still hate boxed brownies though. Always and forever.