This recipe is hearty and filling but also vegan and packed with nutrients. A cup of cooked wheat berries has about 300 calories and is full of protein, fiber, and iron. The nutrition is equivalent to that of whole wheat, but the ‘berries are a whole lot more fun than whole wheat spaghetti.
Yield: 5 servings; Prep Time: Overnight; Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup hard red winter wheat berries
- 2 tsp evoo
- 2 heaping cups frozen turnip greens
- half a large red onion, roughly chopped
- 14 oz package ground beef style veggie protein
- 24 oz jar marinara sauce
- In a covered pot, soak the wheat berries overnight in 4 cups of cold water.
- Place the pot over high heat and set a timer for 50 minutes. When the wheat berries have come to a boil reduce the heat and simmer for the remaining time. After 50 minutes, remove from heat and drain any remaining water.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, heat 1 tsp evoo in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Place turnip greens in pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring regularly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining tsp evoo and onions to pan and cook 2 minutes.
- Add veggie protein to pan and cook 4 minutes, using the side of your spatula to break up the “meat” into smaller pieces.
- Reduce heat to low, and add cooked wheat berries and marinara sauce to pan for a final 3 minutes.