I cobbled together a base recipe from a few sources (and made some changes based on what we could find during our emergency trip) and then we added in crunched Newman’s Own Organic Mint Newmanos. So good! The next time I make ice-cream I am going to try it with skim milk but I figured I would follow a traditional recipe the first time around.
Mint Cookies and Cream, makes 1 quart
- 8-10 mint oreo-ish cookies
- 4large egg yolks
- 3/4C sugar
- 1/4t salt
- 2 1/4C half and half
- 3/4C 1% milk
- Ice water
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4C sugar, and the salt.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the half and half, milk, and remaining 1/2C of sugar over medium heat until just begining to simmer, about 5minutes.
- Add to the egg mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly, then pour into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until the custard thickens, about 8minutes.
- Pour the custard into a bowl set in an ice water bath. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Use an ice-cream machine to process the custard according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold in crunched cookies after removing from machine into an air-tight storage container.