This dish is a quicker (tastier!) spin on rice pudding. Chia seeds replace rice for a pudding that is still chewy, creamy, and sweet. And since chia seeds are a great source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, this is pretty darn healthy for a yummy dessert.
Servings: 2; Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1.5 cups skim milk
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Bring milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk chia seeds into milk and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg in medium bowl.
- Whisk brown sugar into milk mixture.
- Slowly stream half of the milk mixture into the egg, whisking constantly so the egg doesn’t begin to cook.
- Whisk the egg mixture back into the pan and continue to simmer, whisking constantly, for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in cinnamon, vanilla, and raisins.
The pudding is pleasant served both hot and cold, though I’m not sure what reheating would do to the texture. If you wish to serve the dish hot I would not recommend making it far ahead of time. This dish does not require time to set and can be served immediately after cooking.